What if I have been married for less than two years?

The two year period commences from the date of marriage to the date of applying to the Court for a divorce order.  The parties must have been separated and living apart for twelve months prior to applying for a divorce order.

 If your marriage has been for less than two years there is a special requirement to qualify for a divorce order.  Prior to applying for a divorce order, you must either:

  • attend counselling with a family counsellor or nominated counsellor to discuss the possibility of reconciliation with your estranged spouse (with the counsellor providing a completed counselling certificate (a blank counselling certificate is available from www.fcfcoa.gov.au or by calling 1300 352 000 prior to your appointment) OR
  • if you have not attended counselling with your estranged spouse, seek permission of the Court to apply for a divorce  order.  This is done by filing an Affidavit.   We can help you to prepare the Affidavit.


Divorce Hearing and granting of application

The Hearing if usually listed approximately six weeks after the filing of the application.  A divorce application is ordinarily granted on the day of the Hearing with a decree nisi being made.  The divorce becomes absolute one whole month from the making of the divorce order. 

A certificate reflecting the terms of the divorce order is issued by the Court to both parties to the marriage.


Can I marry again?

Yes, but not until one whole month from the making of your divorce order (when it is taken to have become absolute).